For my month, I've chosen the wonky log-cabin block. It's super easy, and another block that is great for scraps. I wrote this blog post about it a while back, with several pictures of my test blocks. And here's a nice tutorial for a wonky log cabin block (though I'd like the center square not cut wonky).
- Start with a 3" square in the middle (and don't cut this wonky)
- Do slightly wonky log cabin (or courthouse square) piecing around that, until the block is at least 12.5" in both dimensions. It probably won't be square and that's just fine.
- I love bright colors, so go crazy!
- You don't have to square up the block when you're done
- Iron the seams to one side, whatever is the easy way (usually that's towards the outside of the block)
I think that's it, but let me know if I missed anything!